Then, I am moving. Rolling down the runway, picking up more speed by the second. The signs, and markings blur by, now appearing nonsensical. A sudden lurch and I am airborne, gaining altitude and watching as the objects below grow smaller. Then only a white blur out the windows, and I am surrounded by clouds.
As I peer out the window it seems that I am in another world, my perception altered by an endless white. Wisps of clouds blow by the window. The clouds that seemed to be one enormous mass from the ground now appear in different hues of grey and white, their shapes ever changing, as I soar through their grey moisture.
As suddenly as I entered, I break through the clouds and am welcomed by the golden rays of the sun. As I continue to climb the clouds below me appear to be a solid pillow of white, pristine and soft. Almost creating the illusion that I could open the door and step out onto their billowing tips. Above the sky is a deep blue from horizon to horizon appearing to melt into the pure white of the clouds.
Then the clouds are broken by the tips of a mountain, the rugged brown with snow capped peaks, contrasted against wisps of the familiar clouds. As I fly over the mountain top I see a hidden lake, the color of deep emerald, sparkling in the sun. Pine trees reach with their snow covered branches toward the sun shining above the blanket of clouds below.
Here I am, lost in another world. The freedom is inexpressible, and the dissimilarity from the world of gravity below is incomparable. I can see for miles ahead, more snow-capped mountain peaks reaching through the blanket of clouds, more emerald and sapphire lakes hidden in solitude from the world below; the total absence of busy-ness, rushing, civilization, traffic, and chaos. Is it any wonder that I love to fly?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:
Post a Comment