Have you ever sat down and contemplated just what your priorities are in life. Priorities are something I've really been considering lately. Of course we all say that our top priority is God, after all, isn't that what we are expected to say and to think? But if we take the time to stop and look at our lives - really look at what is taking priority in reality and not just in talk - could we still say in all honesty that God is in fact our highest priority?
Here's something that I recently read that really made me think about my priorities, and whether they are simply spoken, or are put into practice. These words were penned by a young Christian pastor in Zimbabwe and were found in his office shortly after he was martyred for his faith:
"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit's power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made-I'm a disciple of HIS. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, nor be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure.
I'm finished with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap living and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits nor popularity. I don't have to be right, tops, recognized, praised, regarded nor rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer to Him and labor with His power.
My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide always reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded nor delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the enemy, pander at the pool or popularity nor meander in the maze of mediocrity.
I won't give up, shut up or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up the cause of Jesus Christ. I must go 'til He comes, give 'til drop, preach 'til all know, and work 'til He stops me. And, when He comes to gather His own, He will have no problem recognizing me...my banner will be His!"
After reading this my whole way of thinking was challenged! I realize that it is altogether too easy to become caught up in the "rat race" that we call living. I don't want a mediocre life! I don't want a life revolving around acquiring things, being smart, and looking good. I don't want a life that consists of scrambling around madly six days a week, with only one day to take time to focus on my relationship with my Creator. Put plainly, I want what this pastor found! I want to live my life wholly, unashamedly, completely for Christ. I desire with all my heart to be able to say the words "I have stepped over the line...My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide always reliable, my mission clear."
I pray that my Heavenly Father will continue to challange my perspective, will continue to awaken longings for Home in my heart, and will continue to be my Faithful Guide. May I continue to be faithful and trusting!
~He who loves the coming of the Lord is not he who affirms it is far off, nor is it he who says it is near. It is he who, whether it be far or near, awaits it with sincere faith, steadfast hope, and fervent love~

No comments:
Post a Comment