Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Felxibility is Key

The beauty of plans, is that they usually do not turn out as planned. I left for the Spokane this morning with every intention to leave the US and arrive in Guyana tomorrow morning. But courtesy of Hurricane Hanna closing down JFK airport in NYC, I am once again sitting in my room at home, waiting till next Tuesday to leave now.

I remember something my dad would always say when things would fail to go as planned on mission trips he led: "Flexibility is the key to being a missionary." That's something that I need to internalize for whatever lies ahead. Sometimes the plans we make are not the plans that our Father has for us. Sometimes our adversary throws things our way that may change our plans. But no matter what happens I can trust that although all things may not BE good, God can "cause all things to work together for the good of those who love Him, and who are the called according to His purpose."

While I may be a little disappointed that my departure is postponed, in the long run, it is not the end of the world; the little things that change our plans seldom are. The lesson that I can take from experiences such as this is to be willing to put my trust completely in God. Be willing to exchange my plans for His, even be willing to postpone my plans when necessary. After all, if I am following His leading, doesn't it make sense that I should also follow His time-table.

"Faith is trusting God - believing that He loves us and knows best what is for our good."
~E. G. White

No comments: