After a long, mostly sleepless, night on the plane I have finally arrived in Georgetown, Guyana. The last leg of my journey was from JFK airport in NYC to Georgetown, lasting 5 hours and 15 min. Usually I have no trouble falling asleep on the plane, no sooner are we in the air and I'm dead to the world until the announcement is heard overhead that we are on final approach. This time however proved to be rather difficult for reasons unknown to me. It didn't help that by my last flight my back, leg and butt muscles were chastising me for keeping them in the same position for such an extended length of time. But I finally fell asleep for fitful intervals about halfway through my last flight.
I woke up this morning to the sun peeking through my airplane window, glistening off cumulus clouds that were scattered through out the sky. Below me and behind me lay the sparkling water of the caribbean, and ahead I could see the outline of the coast of Guyana a deep green. We landed on runway 060 and exited the plane at 0633. Suddenly I'm no longer tired and its off to customs and immigration.
I was met by Melissa, who is director of the school I'll be teaching at. Turns out Maria, another SM who will be teaching at one of the other schools here was on the same flight I was on. Now comes the task of fitting both of our luggage in our "taxi" which is an old Honda Accord.
Next comes the drive from the airport to the mission house here in Georgetown that is sort of the stopping house for any missionaries working here in Guyana when they're in town. Driving here is going to be quite the experience. It is strangely reminiscent of driving I encountered in Cuba and Jamaica, only a bit more risky. It seems the drivers here pay no heed to any of the markings on the roads, or to oncoming traffic for that matter, weaving in-and-out of traffic and swerving back into their lane at the last possible second. Gotta love it
I spent the morning running around town getting a few things like a wash tub, and hammock. The shops here are also very interesting.
Well its on to the interior, with its verdent rainforests and wild animals in just a few hours. I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Driving skills in Guyana sound much like Romania...I honestly thought I was going to be killed before I ever made it to the airport. The numerous wrecks I saw during my stay gave credibility to my fears. Once, while driving through Bucharest, our driver attempted to fit between a parked car and someone in our lane of traffic...the result was jagged black scars down the side of our formerly all yellow van.
Wow, glad to hear from you, girl! I sure do remember those Cuba and Jamaica driving memories! :D Good memories. . . . Thankfully, here in Thailand, they pretty much follow the rules pretty well. I've learned how to drive a motorcycle and have driven some on the roads! So crazy, but fun! Glad you made it safely. Love you, girl! Keep in touch. God bless you!! Thanks for keeping up your blog!
I am praying for you, Sour cream.... Be carefull, and keep us posted! Blessings!
Post a Comment