Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Behold What Manner of Love

I came looking for Jesus this morning, desiring to know more of His character
When I found Him, He was hanging, suspended between heaven and earth
His body had been subjected to unimaginable suffering
His spirit tortured by the thought of eternal separation from his beloved Father
All this and more, we had done to Him; No, I had done

Yet as I gazed at Him through tear filled eyes I saw even more
I saw the only one to comfort Him was a criminal dying beside Him
The only one that day to express faith in His divinity and call Him Lord
I saw the joy in Jesus’ tortured eyes as He spoke the words of promise
Giving this sinful man a future and a hope, and forgiving his sins

I followed His tender gaze to a women in the crowd
Her heart was breaking as she stood looking up at her son
I saw in His eyes His great love for her, His desire for her well being
I heard the words spoken “John, behold, thy mother”
And I was taken aback at His thoughtful care amid His own suffering

Then I felt His eyes piercing my own soul
I felt a love greater than anything I could ever comprehend
“My child, all this for you. You are worth it to me”
I saw that He knew I would go my own way, and follow my own path
Yet with tender love and pity He pursued me relentlessly

The love I found could never adequately be expressed
It is beyond human comprehension and attainment to love like this
I can, in some small way, comprehend John’s inability to convey this love
Words failed him, and all he could do was tell us to look for ourselves
“Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us!”

So I challenge you, to take time to behold Jesus
Don’t take a mere glance then go your way, but take time to gaze at Him
At His unselfish life, and at the immeasurable price He paid for you
What you will find is something that you can never forget
It will shake you to the very core of your soul, and change you if you’ll allow

No comments: