Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Peaceful Moments in Time

I love moments that really speak to your heart; moments that usher you into the very presence of God…

I waken to birds beginning their chorus of song, darkness is still lingering in the room, I look at my clock; its 5:12. I push out of my mosquito net and make my way out onto the veranda. I find a mist hanging over the clearing in the jungle, the sky barely beginning to relinquish its dark velvet to the touch of light. No other noises accost my ears, just a still small voice…

We are traveling up river in the darkness after the sun has set, a lone flashlight on the bow of the boat attempting to cast light into the darkness ahead. Then we stop, and decide to have worship on the river. The engine of the boat is silent and the night noises of the jungle can be heard, along with our songs of praise. The stars shining brightly up above and the moon casting its beams of light to illuminate a path on our dark interstate of river. As we lift our voices in song, scripture, and prayer I feel peace…

The thunder clouds rapidly roll in darkening the blue sky. Suddenly rain begins to pour down from the churning clouds above. I can hear the thunder in the distance approaching nearer and still nearer. Then, without warning, I see a blinding bolt of light flash down from the sky striking a tree not more than 200 yards away. The resounding boom that follows sends chills through my body. If nature can be this powerful, what of the One who created the forces of nature…

Again I find myself sitting on the veranda in the morning. The sun has just broken out above the verdant green canopy of the jungle, its warm rays of light illuminating all they touch. I see the dew glistening off everything green, and I hear the birds singing praises to their creator. I feel like an intruder to their joyful worship but so very welcome…

We walk the path toward out jungle church together, through the green of the trees. Watching for beautiful butterflies, colorful birds, playful monkeys, and other interesting wildlife. As we walk, we talk back-and-forth about many topics, all found in the Book in our hand, fellowshipping together in His presence. What a beautiful morning…

Reject the worldly lie that says that life lies always up ahead
Let power go before control becomes a crust around you soul
Escape the hunger to possess and soul diminishing success
This world is full of narrow lines, I pray by grace your smile survives
~Michael Card

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

Those are such beautiful moments! I love them, too. Thanks for sharing your special times with God.